Monday, 16 February 2015

ACC Mince Pie Run 14/12/14

A large group gathered at the Forfar Leisure Centre for the annual Mince Pie Run which was being hosted by Tom & Mary this year.

The snow and ice which had blanketed Forfar for most of the week disappeared overnight and although there was a strong wind it was fairly mild.  We headed up the brae to Ladenford and there were a few spots of rain and it looked grey to the south and west so rather than go down the side of the A90 we turned left and enjoyed the wind behind us for a few miles through Craichie, Bowriefauld and Letham.  We had a wee break at Trumperton and were heading for Froikhiem when Charlie suggested heading over Guthrie Hill which cut a big loop of the planned run, we had over an hour till lunch would be ready and were only 8 miles from town so we headed for a loop round by Redroofs through Montreathmont Forrest and then on to Melgund Castle. Melgund Castle was built in 1543 by Cardinal David Beaton, Archbishop and Chancellor of Scotland. He obtained this secular property, the barony of North Melgund for his favorite mistress, Marion Ogilvy.

From Melgund Castle it was onto the Brechin Rd and into a fierce headwind for the last eight miles Tom & Mary's  where a fantastic spread awaited us, there were over 20 of us there for the afternoon and had Birthday cake for Etta plenty mulled wine beer and good chat, Ron proposed a vote of thanks to all helpers and made a collection for the injured cyclists legal fund before we drifted off into the dusk for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment